What better to do on a HOT Saturday afternoon in South Florida than getting muddy with hundreds of other adventure seekers at a Spartan Race? You may have no idea what a Spartan Race is AND nor did I before my clan of adventureros twisted my arm into doing my first just weeks ago.
Let me share with you the Spartan good time and good story…
Background: What is a Spartan Race?
A Spartan Race is an obstacle race series that was designed by seven insane ultra athletes and a Royal Marine. Don’t be fooled. A Spartan Race is NOT a trail race, mud run, or a warrior dash; it’s a brutal physical and mental test of your strength, speed, endurance, and ability to complete numerous stunts, obstacles, and feats.
Ms Traveling Pants’ Course Location, Length, and Obstacles:
Oleta River State Park for 8.5 miles of on and off road running with 16 obstacles, including:
1. Scaling a 9 ft wall (shown right)
2. Belly crawling through trench-like tent series
3. Swimming across beach with all your gear
4. Climbing up and down a 9 ft net
5. Solving a Rubik’s cube (I was never good at these, but somehow I managed to complete the cube successfully and on my first try.)
6. Carrying a cinder block up a hill and back (I was so frustrated with my cinder block, I dropped it at completion breaking it in half. AROOO!)
7. Jumping two 6 ft walls, going under another two 6 ft walls, and squeezing through two tires (My personal fav!)
8. Repelling from a bridge
9. Walking a 2 by 4, balance beam-like labyrinth course (FAILED and had to do 30 burpees)
10. Conquering a 20 ft net climb
11. Practicing snipper skills with bow and arrow (FAILED and had to do 30 burpees)
12. Mud shimmying under barbed wire (shown at beginning of post)
13. Rope climbing a slippery mud covered wall (shown below)
14. Rock climbing a wall sideways (FAILED and had to do 30 burpees)
15. Finishing with an encounter with gladiators (shown below)
I completed the course in a little over 2 hours with all obstacles conquered, covered with mud, and adorned with a Spartan Race medal.
All of this AND I had NO injuries.
Will Ms T Pants repeat?:
I’m up for challenges BIG, small, and in between.
So here’s to more good times and good stories with or without a little mud.
This definitely looks intense! Congrats on finishing it, but what was the hardest part for you?
Hi Ms. T!
I am going to be doing my first spartan race in a couple weeks here in southern california. The only obstacle I’m fearing is the 8 foot walls! I’m only 5’2″ so how the heck am I going to get over. In the end I just want to have fun and it certainly looks like you did! I can’t wait!!
You’ll do it. 1) Find a friend that will give you a boost 2) Momentum helps 3) Typically there are ladders/ropes, albeit still difficult.
Hi Ms. T, thanks for your encouragement to all of us. I have signed up for the Super Spartan this summer in VA. I like an adventure and I’m not afraid of hard work and mud… nonetheless, I am a little nervous. I feel better after reading your report, especially that you will absolutely do it again! Thanks!!
J : )