Keeping the roadways, airways, and waterways hot, I still have time to bring back souvenirs. I have my fair share of art, t-shirts, CDs, jewelry, and knickknacks; some would call me a well-traveled pack rat. However, the absolute best souvenirs from my travels are tasty and don’t break the bank. I bring back recipes. They take up very little space in your luggage or home. Plus, you can share your stories with your friends and family around a table with your souvenir as the highlight.
This year, I have spent over 70 days in Cuba. I have eaten kilos of roasted pork, arroz congris (Cuban rice and beans), and of course enjoyed plenty of Cuban rum, cigars, and coffee. However, the recipe that I chose to bring back as my ultimate souvenir is a dessert. Two wonderful women, Dalia and Consuelo, shared their family’s Coconut Natilla recipe with me. I think you will find their natilla as a creamy, tropical delight and easy to make.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 25-30 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 2 Cups of Whole Milk
- 4 tsp of Corn Starch (diluted into 1/2 cup of water)
- 1 tsp of Coconut Flavoring
- 1 stick of Cinnamon and Ground Cinnamon for finished natilla
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup of Sugar
- Bring milk, salt, cinnamon stick, and coconut flavor to a boil
- Remove from heat and let decrease to room temperature
- Mix eggs, sugar, and diluted cornstarch in a separate bowl
- Once the milk mixture has cooled, mix all together (Remove the cinnamon stick)
- Place the combined mixture on the stove & bring up to medium heat until thick
- Dish the thickened natilla into a serving bowl or 4 separate serving dishes, sprinkle with ground cinnamon, & chill
A big thank you to my two Cuban friends in Playa Larga that prepared this dessert for me many times. I will miss you both. And with this recipe, I have a way to relive and share my Cuba travel memories anytime.
So, what am I waiting for? And, what are you waiting for? Let’s go make some Coconut Natilla! I bet there won’t be leftovers.
Here’s to more good times and good stories.